Thursday, November 29, 2007

Marshall exhibit

I visited the Lilian Greer Museum at Rio yesterday. I was really surprised. The artwork was great. There were several by the same artist which used a woodcut and various textures along with mixed media. There is one called "The Cage" that really gets me. It is a painting of the shadow of a man (textured) from the mid arm up. Sitting on top of his shoulders is a birdcage. The colors seemed dark, with brightening stripes of a bright blue on either side. Makes me feel like the man is trapped by his thoughts, but that there is hope.
Another favorite of mine there was done by a woman in mixed media, also woodcut. It was called "Over and Under, an Allegory". I really liked this one, it was divided into three panoramic paintings one was the main picture in the middle of a boy and girl crossing over a curved bridge with a quiet stream running underneath. On the top, there were constellations, balloons, birds, dragons, anything that belongs in the sky. The bottom picture was everything going on beneath the stream. You could see the "top" half of the duck who was diving for food, a turtle walking slowly on the bottom, and a dragon, fish, rocks, plants, anything that belongs underwater. A very curious thought. The colors were bright and cheery with teals and yellows.
A depressing feeling came over me when I observed the photographic black and whites. THey were a series of photos of a young girl in different situations. One showed her standing in a pair of high heels much too big, but not her face. Another was a "birthday party" with another lady standing in the room with a cake/candles burning, and dolls and decorations. But the little girl looked hauntingly sad. That feeling followed me to the next photo of her and the same woman with their Sunday best on and her legs crossed, and maybe makeup on. A little eerie if you ask me. THe pictures seemed dark and depressed and I walked away with that feeling.
I went to take pictures, but the museum was locked when I came back with my camera. I will try to get some next week.Thanks, Angie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Angela - you have done such great work this semester. Beside your name in my gradebook it says "wonderful." Don't stop blogging, it fits you. Thanks for participating and being involved in the course.

Amy.